Thursday, March 24, 2016

Week 7: March 21- March 25

Today I scheduled all the swimmers who missed a practice a makeup day outside of every Tuesday. Swimmer A needs to make up 1 practice, Swimmer 1 needs to make up 3 practices, and swimmer 2 and 3 need to make up two practices. The makeup day will be this Friday.
Swimmer 1 is taking this whole month of swimming off because they just finished long course season so we'll makeup the days missed as needed.
During our session I noticed that Swimmer A needs to get their head down, I told them to swim with their head down for one 50. The next 50 Swimmer A needed to slow down their breathe so I had them do a drill for freestyle where they do the stroke normal except right before their hand enters the water they pauses for  couple seconds. Swimmer B has started to cross over their left hand, which is when they grab the water from directly above their head instead of above their shoulder. This leads to extreme shoulder pain in the future. I had them do Josh Davis catch up drill for two 50s so that they can practice swimming with their arms above their shoulders. Swimmer C is entering their hand in the water completely sideways now. I had them do fingertip drag drill to slow down their arm placement in the water. Swimmer 2 and 3 also did fingertip drag drill to slow down their arm placement in the water.

Due to competition season ending for short course, most of the swimmers took off time. Taking off time during swimming can set you back because you don't have as much cardio buildup. All the swimmers were also required to take off spring break, this may effect the time of some swimmers.

Swimmer A went a 34.25.
Swimmer B went a 32.6.
Swimmer C went a 33.3.
Swimmer 1 missed a day
Swimmer 2 went a 36.5.
Swimmer 3 went a 38.9.

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious how the students respond to the different coaching styles. Aside from times, can you tell from their attitude and responses whicg style works better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swimmers are mostly excited because they get out of practice early. Some however have shown willingness to improve and are happy they have time to work on their stokes.

      Delete
  2. Do you recommend your group also watch videos of correct strokes? I'm trying to teach myself to swim laps and I find youtube is a good resource for me to help correct the big mistakes I make. Is video something coaches incorporate into their instruction or to supplement training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we like to use videos. I personally like when I am able to see myself swim so I can see how I am making the mistake. Usually coaches demonstrate how to do a stroke on the deck, sometimes they get in water. I'm glad you're learning how to swim laps, that's exciting!!!!

      Delete