Thursday, April 28, 2016

Concluding Thoughts

My study has concluded! Don't be sad though, my dearest blog readers!!!! Life and swimming will go on and now coaches can benefit from the conclusion to my study. 
The first thing that I did to see the overall times of the swimmer is that for each swimmer I averaged their time from the eight weeks. To get the average I added all the times from the one swimmer and then divided it by eight. 
Swimmer A averaged 32. 875 seconds
Swimmer B averages 33.125 seconds
Swimmer C averaged 34. 375 seconds
Swimmer 1 averaged 33 seconds
Swimmer 2 averaged 35.75 seconds
Swimmer 3 averaged 38. 875 seconds
Then I averaged the groups times to see which group had the fastest 50 freestyle times overall. 
Group 1 averaged a time of 33. 458 and Group 2 went 35. 875 seconds. 
For the conclusion of the study I had to determine which group improved the most. To get the conclusion I got all the average of all three swimmers from each group in week 1 and then in week 8. For week 1, group 1 went an average time of 33 seconds and in week 8 they also went an average of 33 seconds. For group 2, they went 37 seconds on week 1 and on week 8 they went and average of 36 seconds. Now because group 2 improved the most from week 1 to week 8 by one second the grouped coaching method is most effective to improve swimmers times, which is not what I expected to happen. 
The swimmers also took a survey, which asked them about their experience in swimming. 
The questions were:
  1. Did you notice a difference in your coaching style in the project?
  2. What was different about it?
  3. Did you enjoy your coach?
  4. Did you have fun?
  5. Do you think that your swimming improved from the experiment?
  6. What part of the experiment was your favorite?
  7. What type of coaching method do you think improves swimming the most?
  8. Do coaching styles affect your swimming? 
  9. Does enjoying swimming affect your ability to improve in swimming?
All the swimmer said that they enjoyed swimming in my experiment and enjoyed the different coaching styles. The swimmers also answered that they prefer when the coaching is based around what each individual needs to improve on. Some swimmers agreed that the study improved their swimming skills while others reported that they strongly agreed the study improved their swimming skills. 

I learned many things from doing this study. I learned about what makes a good experiment. I learned how to be a better coach. I learned the purposed of each drill in-depth. I learned how to make a presentation and in-depth research paper. And then I also learned how to start swimmers while using a stopwatch, which is actually surprisingly difficult.

For future studies like mine I think that there should be a bigger group of swimmers. The subjects should also be non swimmers so that their improvement from normal practice doesn't affect their improvement in the study. Also the swimmers should do drills for more than 15 minutes and the two groups should be separated. If these things are implemented then their shouldn't be as many biases.

My presentation int't quite finished by i did it on google slides so here is a link: 

No comments:

Post a Comment