Friday, February 5, 2016

Week 1: Feb 1- Feb 5

This week I finalized my methodology and turned in my syllabus, outlining each week.
Although my outside adviser and I discussed when what days would be good to perform my project, he changed his mind and is currently thinking about what time will work best. In the mean time I have prepared who the swimmers are that will be participating and explained what will be expected of them. I chose 4 swimmers per group under the age of 14. For this project to work they must be present for each practice session otherwise the data will be skewed.  
As soon as my coach/ outside adviser tells me what days we can perform the project we can start the project. I look forward to putting all this in motion and concluding what is the best coaching style to use to help a swimmer improve. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Delaney,
    How will you compensate for any skewed data? Kids are bound to miss practice every once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the swimmers miss more than 1 practice then we will perform the stroke work a different time of the week.

      Delete
  2. Delaney I'm excited to see what you're results are. This is a very interesting topic. :) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see the results too, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Delaney, this project sounds fantastic! :) How do you think you'll you be analyzing the final data for your project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To analyze the final data I will have the swimmers sprint a 50 freestyle and compare the times to analyze how the faster or slower times correlate with the different coaching styles.

      Delete
  4. Hey Delaney!
    So you are comparing individualized training with group training. Is it possible that a combination of both could be the most helpful? What qualities does a good stroke have? Why and how do these qualities make you faster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carissa! Yes, most coaches do incorporate both coaching styles into their sets but generally they lean toward a group coaching method because the teams are usually pretty large, it's difficult to tell every swimmer what they are doing wrong. A good freestyle is an efficient one. It has to have efficient side breathing and an efficient pull through the water to help you go faster. Once you have an efficient stroke you gain strength in it, which together make you go faster because in the end you didn't exert a lot of work which caused you to be tired and slow down.

      Delete