Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 2: Feb 8- Feb 12

I started my project!! YAY! I currently have 6 swimmers, 3 in each group. For the sake of confidentiality I will call the swimmers in group 1, the individualized coaching method, Swimmer A, Swimmer B, and Swimmer C. In group 2, the grouped coaching method, I will call the swimmers Swimmer 1, Swimmer 2, and Swimmer 3.
I first had all the swimmers do a 100 freestyle (4 lengths) to see their strokes and get an idea about what their strokes were like and what they each needed to improve on. I noticed Swimmer A was breathing too late, to correct this I had them slow down and perform the fingertip drag drill, where they do freestyle but drag their fingers across the water slowly.  Swimmer B moves their head too much when they swim, to fix that I had them do a drill where they hold a kick board and have one hand on the board at all times while doing freestyle. For Swimmer C, they were pushing their head down too low, I had them do the same drill as Swimmer B. For the group with the grouped coaching method, they all seemed to be swinging their arms, to help fix this they performed zipper drill, where the swimmer pretends their side is a zipper and drags their fingers across the side of their body while doing freestyle.
I had them each do 3 50's of the drills I assigned. After each 50 I gave each person in group 1 feedback and gave the whole group 2 feedback together. They them swam to the other end of the pool where they each performed a 50 freestyle sprint.
Swimmer A's initial time was 32 seconds.
Swimmer B's initial time was 35 seconds.
Swimmer C's initial time was 34 seconds.
Swimmer 1's initial time was 34 seconds.
Swimmer 2's initial time was 37 seconds.
Swimmer 3's initial time was 40 seconds.
These are the initial times after about 10 minutes of stroke work.

5 comments:

  1. Hey!

    So are you directly coaching these 6 swimmers, or are you relaying the corrections from your Coach Nathan? Because you mentioned you couldn't coach them, only Nathan could because he is a certified coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yeah Nathan has an assistant coach, Coach Clare, who gives me feedback as a "professional coach" and then I directly tell the swimmers what she said to me. So I technically tell the swimmers what to do but I use the advice of the USA swimming certified coach.

      Delete
  2. What were the swimmers' final times? What is the difference between them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What were the swimmers' final times? What is the difference between them?

    ReplyDelete